Is Microsoft's Edge browser really faster than Google's Chrome?

Couple of days ago Microsoft’s Gabe Aul published a blog entry with bold statements regarding their new default browser of the upcoming Windows 10 operating system:

On WebKit Sunspider, Edge is 112% faster than Chrome
On Google Octane, Edge is 11% faster than Chrome
On Apple JetStream, Edge is 37% faster than Chrome

For the Edge browser Microsoft has again decided to develop their own rendering engine, instead of relying on open source alternatives (Blink, Gecko, WebKit). I have to doubt their decision as a browser engine is a big development effort and they need to be updating it from now to eternity. Knowing that the Internet Explorer has been one of the pain points for Microsoft for quite many years, I could not resist the urge to benchmark the Edge against the latest stable Chrome release.

First let’s validate whether their statements on Octane and Sunspider benchmarks are true. For all the tests we used an oldish Thinkpad X301 laptop, with Windows 10 build 10240, with all the updates installed (as of 18-Jul-2015). For Chrome benchmarks we used the newest stable version 43. All tests were executed three times and the presented values are the averages of these runs.

SunSpider 1.02 (less is faster):

• Edge: 619
  • Chrome: 1032

Indeed the Edge scores an excellent result in the SunSpider benchmark, but it is definitely not more than twice (112%) fast as Chrome. The performance difference is still impressive ~67% for the benefit of Edge browser.

Octane 2.0: (higher is better)

• Edge: 5438
  • Chrome: 5160

Another win for Edge, with about ~5% margin. Another great result for Microsoft’s new browser, but the speed gain is again about a half of what they claimed in the blog post.

SunSpider and Octane are official benchmarks of browser development teams (WebKit, Google) and it makes perfect sense in terms of PR to announce performance wins in enemy territory. However, when independent benchmarks of a third party are used, the results get even more interesting. We continue the tests with Futuremark’s Peacekeeper and Basemark’s Browsermark:

Peacekeeper (higher is better):

• Edge: 453
  • Chrome: 847

A massive win for Chrome, scoring roughly ~87% higher score in the well acknowledged Peacekeeper benchmark. A complete turn-around in the test results!

Browsermark (higher is better):

• Edge: 936
  • Chrome: 1557

Another big loss for the Edge, with Chrome being about 66% faster.

What to make of these results? It seems like Microsoft has been targeting their optimization effort for the competitor benchmarks in order to show impressive results for their new product. When it comes to more intensive and complex HTML5 benchmarks they are still miles behind the competition. It is also worth emphasizing that the Edge speed gains on SunSpider and Octane were about a half of what Microsoft claims. Keep in mind however that the results may and will vary on different hardware. Personally I have found the Peacekeeper results to be a reliable measurement of web browsers performance. I would guess that in real life usage of Chrome will still provide a better performance than the edge. Also note out previous tests with Linux Mint vs Windows 10 which suggest that Chrome actually runs faster on Linux than it does on Windows.

What do you think - with the Edge be able to challenge Chrome in the browser speed race? Will you be switching to Edge with the Windows 10 update, or sticking with Chrome (or Firefox)?

One important update/correction to the article:

This post has got some attention at Hacker News, and user BinaryIdiot has made a valid comment that Edge’s engine (EdgeHTML) is not actually new, but a fork of the old Internet Explorer Trident engine. So this evelutionary development by Microsoft rather than revolutionary. I was misinformed that the engine would be completely new.

It’s interesting that the edge browser identifies itself as Chrome in the default configuration. I’m not sure if that’s a good idea or not.

emphasized textMozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/42.0.2311.135 Safari/537.36 Edge/12.10240

That is a good question.

Of course Microsoft is in the beginning of distributing their new browser, so the market share starts from zero. Webmasters have not been targeting it and it is largely untested by anyone else than MS and Windows Insiders. Based on Microsoft’s own blog entry, they are aiming to maximize Edge compatibility, but I really dont have the expertise to fully understand could this have any negative side effects.

No. I f you see the data rate transfer speed on both the browsers with the same connection then you will find that the chrome is faster and you can get more information from Samsung Service Center Dubai 2021 | Laptop TV and Fridge repair 2021

I will definitely not be switching from Chrome. Been using it for a loooong time, happy with it and do not plan to change that.

Chrome is the market leader and thus the safest choice. All developers will test against Chrome. It is kind of sad, since monopolies are never good, but that’s the way the world is currently.