Linx and Lamina 7/8/10" tablet owners thread - drivers included!

Dear Vulpix
It’s a pleasure ro read and follow your instructions, so I can testify they are Fool Proof :grin:

Just in case you’re as crazy as me to experiment with this, and just in case there was any doubt, Linx supports 128GB SDXC cards!

Performance is quite okay for bigger files, averaging about 14MB/s write 23MB/s read, so no different from pretty much any of the other sd cards I’ve used before.

Just want to report that the clean install is done.
Now I need drivers since I do not have:
Touchscreen - Nonresponsive screenkeyboard. Only USB-Keyboard
Camera
orientation locked
SD-card reader
maybe more I didn’t realize yet.

I do have WiFi though.
So do I use the drivers in comment 1? I am not sure I dare use the HP7 drivers.
I believe that a new bunch of Linx7drivers were launched november 2015

I also managed to joggle the USB-switch between pos 1 keyboard and USB sticks active and pos 2 charging the battery when it was just installing and working on its own. So I have had it on the whole day without any powershortage. The Hub in comment 44 is working just fine.
In windows the pos 2 allows both keyboard, USB stick and charging :slight_smile:

Kind regards
LarsN

Well, I have had similar success with both drivers, the originals and HP Stream 7. Therefore I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t. However, I don’t think anyone knows for a fact whether different Linx 7 units have differences in hardware. It is totally possible, especially in this price category.

Dear Admin and Vulpix!
Tanks to you guys and this forum I AM UP AND RUNNING windows 10 on a Lamina7 purchased april 2015 with 16Gb internal storage and SD card of 64Gb where I am able to install Apps and programs. Camera works, screen orientation right after applying the instructions above. I also had a reason to learn al the keyboards shortcuts in order to navigate on the screen with no touch sensibility and without a mouse.This page was a lifesaver: Keyboard shortcuts in Windows.
Now I’ll make a clone of the disc before I move on experimenting. :slight_smile:

Hi again.
After installing office 365 and chrome there wasn’t any space left on C: Updates from windows couldn’t download. Uninstalling chrome was enough but it stil installed on C: in spite of the storage settings - new apps to D: (also office 365 installs automatically to C:
Found this workaround on Chrome
forum:
"ds1055 sa:
The only thing I have figured out to kick Chrome to another drive (must-do for me since my SSD and Chrome don’t get along - Waiting for cache all the time) is by way of directory junctions.

Basically, before install (or cut/paste to new directory after install, then run commands) run the following commands:

mklink /J “C:\Users{username}\AppData\Local\Google” “”

mklink /J “C:\Program Files (x86)\Chrome” “”

So, as an example, the commands I ran were:

mklink /J “C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Google” “F:\Chrome_Data\Appdata”
mklink /J “C:\Program Files (x86)\Chrome” “F:\Chrome_Data\Program Files”

Long story short, when browsing through it LOOKS like you are still on the C: drive, except for a mildly different icon. When the installer runs it doesn’t know the difference. Basically, its like switching the tracks on a rail road. You follow the same path, but once you hit the switch you go in a different direction.

It works flawlessly."

Do you think this would work for the Lamina? The idea is to have as much space as possible on C: to make room for swap-files for the system in order to work more smoothely.
Kind regards
LarsN

It’ll work, as long as you use the right path. This is the same as symlinks in linux, I use them myself.

Is it just me or have the recent Windows 10 updates actually improved things?

I haven’t even used my Lamina 7 but I am currently writing this with the tablet. Suddenly the wifi seems to be reliable, even from my mobile phone hotspot, making this useful again.

How is yours?

I never had any issues but my linx is currently gathering dust because without fast user switching, it’s useless to me :frowning: and no, the updates have not done anything to that… but I never had any wifi issues on my linx to begin with, so I can’t say.

Yeah, mine has been very bad, especially with Windows 10:

• Bad reception even at home, where I have a high performance wifi-router giving plenty of coverage.
  • Terrible with mobile hotspots - I have had to keep Linx less than 0.5 meters away from the source to get a signal.
  • Wifi driver/adapter dies when in sleep mode.

It’s been a few months since I used it, but now I grabbed it and fetched the latest updates. Suddenly it worked Ok at home and even picked up my mobile from several meters away. Weird. As I have bought the HDMI-cable, maybe I can a start using it again as a portable Netflix player.

Personally, since running a VPS for a bit, I wonder if linx could do the same. I’m going to try and get ubuntu 16.04LTS running on one of them to see if they would work as a cheap VPS box. I mean, most of those have the same parameters. 1 core (we get 4 here), 20-30GB SSD, 1GB ram… sounds like linx to me. And the system eats about 150MB of ram when up and running so it sounds like the perfect task. I’ll post back with results, probably in a new topic. (and yes technically not a VPS, but you know what I mean :stuck_out_tongue: )

The Linx / Baytrail should have plenty of horsepower for server tasks. A modern Linux distribution should work, but you need to figure out the UEFI boot issues first. Also display driver, using the internal panel, may be challenge. There are however many stiick-PCs built on Baytrail and some ship with ubuntu.

FYI, if RAM becomes a bottleneck, you can boost that with zRam.

I have a lamina 8’ and I made a fresh instal of win 10 (wipe recovery) and used the drivers for linx8/lamina t-801 ,and it work .Today I made again a fresh instal, everything works fine excepting the touch wich is very inacurate ,I pres somewhere down on the screen and i get the touch working somewhere else.What did I do wrong? , I reinstal the fresh version a few times allready today and I have the same problem with the touch .thank you

I cannot speak for the 801, as I only have the 7" slab, but just to confirm: Which/what touch driver did you use for the clean install?

I use the pack of linx 8 lamina 8 from the top of the page

Yep installed the driver and reg, rebooted and all is good

So, technically, both linx and lamina are no longer w10-supported… as the minimum RAM requirements are now 2GB for both 32 and 64bit systems. Thoughts, @Admin ? :smiley:

Yeah, I read about the updated specs/requirements. This is very typical Microsoft - introduce something (somewhat cool) and then cancel or change it afterwards for whatever reason, pissing of customers. Now that they finally quit their mobile phone business, I suspect a lot of Lumia models will be dropped out the update train as well.

The announcement happened few months prior to the expected Redstone update, aka Anniversary Update. So it might be that devices with 1GB will not receive this update and are limited fo security updates from the Threshold branch?

Keep in mind that Linx/Lamina was never Windows 10 supported by the vendor, along with many other Windows 8 low-end tablets. Another sneaky Microsoft tactic to announce Windows 10 and promote it as a free update and at the same time promote dirt cheap Windows 8 products that are not actually compatible.

Is any of you a member of LinxTablets.co.uk?

It used to be a nice forum, but is now loaded with misbehaving ads, which actually is the very reason I decided to offer the Linx drivers here. Now even key contributors are leaving that site – now I am thinking, we could easily establish some Linx specific forum categories here and whatever is needed, if some of the users and ongoing discussion would herd over here.

NOTE: I will not link to that website due to its unethical advertising practices.

That site is literally the reason I came here - because they wanted a registration or payment to get rid of ads and they kept being incredibly disrupting to browsing if you didn’t! So annoying… I’m all for it (for having a linx section here).