Linx and Lamina 7/8/10" tablet owners thread - drivers included!

@Vulpix, what tablet exactly did you buy with Windows 10 preloaded?

The official statement from Linx to the Windows 8 generation products is that not even the upgrade is supported. They have since launched models 810 and 1010, which have Windows 10 but I have no idea whether there are hardware changes too.

I did not word myself properly. I got the standard 8.1 bing just like everyone else - but when I upgraded to W10, it was already the TH2 version (using media creation tool).

Hey all Linx/Lamina owners - could check the other thread regarding Remote Desktop Protocol and try if it works for you?

BTW, is the Linx or Lamina 7 rescue image available online somewhere? Or could any of our dear members package their rescue image and place it online?

I have an untouched image of the whole disk, which part do you need?

Which part? Whatever is needed to go back to the out-of-the-box Windows 8.1 state.

So basically you want the whole disk as there is no “recovery image” per se.

I will check if it works for any lynx or if it complains due to license key(s). I have 3 linx 7’s so I will try to restore the initial w8 backup from one to another and see if that works.

The key is stored in UEFI (SLIC) so I’m hoping this will work. It works when used on the same linx, I used it to go back from some experimenting with linux.

I’ll try this tonight and post back with results; if it works and does not complain about license key, I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Alright.

Got the clean w8 image (essentially, when restored to a linx 7" and booted from, it’ll get you to the screen where you are prompted to choose your country, language, input settings etc; clean system).

Tried restoring it on the original - no problem. Tried restoring it on my 2nd linx, no problem either. In windows, checked with produkey, the system does grab the SLIC key, so you’re good to go. I’m not saying it totally will work, but it worked for me with 2 different linxes, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for you or anyone with a linx 7.

You will need to activate - either internet or by phone; but it worked fine on the 2nd linx where I tried it, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for you. There may be some metadata related to my backup setup but don’t worry about that, clonezilla should not complain about it, after all it didn’t have a problem with my other linx.

I still recommend you make a complete backup of everything, preferrably using clonezilla too.

Disclaimer: You will lose everything on your linx if you restore this image. E-ve-ry-thing. (except stuff stored on your sd card that is).

(remove space, just a protection against randombots)

( link removed for now, ask if you need it again! )

I’m hosting these on a 30Mbit seedbox, no upload bandwidth limit so knock yourselves out.

Login as cdrw / linxthings .

md5 checksums:
b6eac7a5c158a54749054565896dfda0 *2016-02-22-19-img-clean-w8-serval.7z (this is the clean image, it unpacks into a folder that clonezilla knows how to load)
b834003cd4381791f9644975a49a4f11 *clonezilla-live-2.4.5-15-i686-pae.iso (this is the clonezilla that works with linx for me)

How to:
@Admin , judging from your posts you probably don’t need a detailed guide or any guide in general, so this is mostly for others, if they need this.

1. DL the iso and the 7z. Check md5 checksums. Make a bootable usb using whatever you like (I used universal usb installer) with the clonezilla preset, using the iso.
  2. unpack the 7z somewhere, either on the bootable usb or on some other usb disk if you have a hub (which tbh you need)
  3. make sure your linx is charged, boot from the usb (del to bios-> last tab-card in bios → select the bootable usb, it should be listed). On the clonezilla boot screen, select 1st option and boot into clonezilla.
  4. in clonezilla, device-image mode, expert, point clonezilla to whereever you unpacked the 7z into
  5. select restore disk
  6. select the target destination, should be like 31.3GB mmcblk0(somethingsomething).
  7. if worried select check if image is restorable
  8. restore image, woo! (clonezilla will ask you a few times if you’re really really really really sure. Only press y if you are really really really really sure :stuck_out_tongue:
  9. wait for the restoration to proceed.
  10. wait for clonezilla to finish. It might complain in red or yellow text about something like “omg efi file not found” but you can safely ignore that, it always does that but it boots anyway.
  11. reboot, unplug everything,
  12. ???
  13. profit

If you have any trouble let me know.

1 Like

Awesome, downloading now. I wasn’t actually aware that you could CloneZilla the whole damn mass storage.

So at 1st boot after restoring the CloneZilla image this will initiate the usual Windows 8.x setup procedure, right?

Correct!

And yeah, clonezilla has been very helpful :slight_smile:

I’ve removed the link for now, seems all those that needed the file had gotten it.

@Admin , were you successful?

@Vulpix Yes, thank you very much!

Hi Everyone

Thanks for a great thread. Could I ask for some help.
I’ve bought a Linx 7 and don’t have the rotation button as others have stated. My camera is 90’ off and small.
The two downloads would they help?

Awaiting an answer

Thanks
John

• If you do not have the screen rotation button available, you are missing the orientation sensor drivers.
  • Not sure if I’ve seen a 90’-off camera before - I would start by updating the driver.

Create a new empty text file, paste this inside:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\SENSOR\0000\Device Parameters\kxfusion]
"ACPI\\SMO8500\\1-0"="{CDA4B5F8-53B4-4E7C-8A73-0D69852FBEBA}"
"Orientation"=hex:01,01,00,00,01,01,02

save it as “fixrotation.reg”. (make sure it is saved as .reg and not for example as .reg.txt !) Then just double click it to launch it. It will ask if you wanna add the values to your registry, so say yes.

When done, restart the tablet. It worked for me just fine. (Make sure your kionix sensor drivers from the pack are installed first though)

1 Like

I have tried to update my Lamina 7 but some thingalways didn´t work. After my last effort with the HP-drivers the orientation was 180 degrees out of order. Tapping the onscreen Keyboard did not respond - imaging where it should have been 180 degrees of and then tapping on "empty spaces on the screen did correspond. Very akward and lots of things wouldn’t work. So I got it back to the W8.1 settings. Now it works, but I really need the possibility to store apps and and programs on another drive than C: which is only possible in windows 10.

There has been so many posts about the update issues regarding the Linx-Lamina 7 so it is confusing to figure out were to start. Would it be possible to get a brief update on how to do the Update including a link to the valid driverpackage? I always have issues with the not “enough memory” message. Even if I clean out everything it still says that it needs additionally 8GB of memory. If I redirect the storage directory to the SD-card it still needs 4GB of internal storage.
I would also like to know if you still have issues with the wireless speed. In one of the last updates for w8.1 there was a Realtec RTL8723BS wireless LAN 802.11n SDIO Network adaptor update.
The “funny” thing is that I bought mine in april 2015 and never had any issues with the wireless. It has always worked flawless even with my Samsung 4S. My Lamina 7 Model is T701BR.SE

Kind regards
LarsN

@LarsN are you updating or performing a fresh install?

With the update you should not need many drivers. The last time I did it only the automatic screen rotation needed fixing by adding a driver and a .reg file patch. See the 1st post. When performing a clean install you obviously need several drivers in order to get a fully working device.

Regarding WLAN - the performance on Linx 7 is very very bad. It is slow, unreliable and may die completely when device goes to sleep mode.

Hi again. Thank you for your swift answer.
Regarding the WLAN I was told by Captech Sweden to alter the power settings to never go to sleep mode when battery charger is connected, only the screen should go to sleep mode. Charger is connected via an USB-hub with USB-Keyboard. Never have any problems since then with downloading or updating. Or did I misunderstand your definition of Sleep-mode?
Regarding the update proceedures I did try different options. The one that really worked was the clean installation wiping everything out. But neither the cameras nor the rotating sensor worked after that. Tried to download the HP-drivers and installing them messed it up. However, I’ll try again according to your instructions and have a strong feeling it will work this time. Thanks again.

Hi Again
Sorry I did not succed :frowning:

I made an USB-stick with the mediatool from Windows with windows 10 on.
If I go for an update. I always get stuck with the not enough memory problem. Even if I point another drive - a SD-card with 64Gb space- it still needs 4 GB on C:. So I am stuck with the update mode. Seems to me i have to make a clean install.

The partitions of C: looks like this:
Total Free Type
Unit 0 Partition 1: System 100.0MB 53.0MB System
Unit 0 Partition 2: 128.0MB 128MB MSR (reserved)
Unit 0 Partition 3 Windows: 9.8GB 2.6GB Primary
Unit 0 Partition 4:Images 4.5GB 216 MB OEM (reserved)

I also realized that the PORTS are USB3 port. Using hubs with powering and charging the tablet makes it fail to find the USB-stick when rebooting. I have 3 different hubs. 1 USB with powersupply on al the ports- It also have an on-off button for the power - now i think I know why.
And an old USB2 hub with powersupply - same here if powered it wont reboot to the stick.
And lastly the small hub in post no 44:" Additionally, check this little thing out=> http://eu.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-4-Port-Micro-USB-OTG-Charger-HUB-Cable-For-Tablet-Phone-wp-Uk-975460.html12"
It nows come with a switch that can be set in 3 positions. Choosed “2” since i found the HP7 tablet listed there. However if you have the powersupply connected you´’ll have the same problem as described. If you disconnect the powersupply your keyboard wont work - but setting the switch to 1 will. Believe this could explain a lot of issues regarding rebooting.
The whole thing isn’t easier to explain since I’m using a swedish language pack.
So basically I’m still stuck with windows 8.1 and can’t upgrade.
Any ideas?
Kind regards LarsN

The HUB works like this:
1 - normal OTG USB hub => works during boot
2 - OTG+Charging usb hub => ONLY WORKS IN WINDOWS
3 - not sure what this does

Basically, you will need to charge your tablet to full and switch to mode 1 on the hub.