Got the clean w8 image (essentially, when restored to a linx 7" and booted from, it'll get you to the screen where you are prompted to choose your country, language, input settings etc; clean system).
Tried restoring it on the original - no problem. Tried restoring it on my 2nd linx, no problem either. In windows, checked with produkey, the system does grab the SLIC key, so you're good to go. I'm not saying it totally will work, but it worked for me with 2 different linxes, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you or anyone with a linx 7.
You will need to activate - either internet or by phone; but it worked fine on the 2nd linx where I tried it, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. There may be some metadata related to my backup setup but don't worry about that, clonezilla should not complain about it, after all it didn't have a problem with my other linx.
I still recommend you make a complete backup of everything, preferrably using clonezilla too.
Disclaimer: You will lose everything on your linx if you restore this image. E-ve-ry-thing. (except stuff stored on your sd card that is).
(remove space, just a protection against randombots)
( link removed for now, ask if you need it again! )
I'm hosting these on a 30Mbit seedbox, no upload bandwidth limit so knock yourselves out.
Login as cdrw / linxthings .
b6eac7a5c158a54749054565896dfda0 *2016-02-22-19-img-clean-w8-serval.7z (this is the clean image, it unpacks into a folder that clonezilla knows how to load)
b834003cd4381791f9644975a49a4f11 *clonezilla-live-2.4.5-15-i686-pae.iso (this is the clonezilla that works with linx for me)
@Admin , judging from your posts you probably don't need a detailed guide or any guide in general, so this is mostly for others, if they need this.
1) DL the iso and the 7z. Check md5 checksums. Make a bootable usb using whatever you like (I used universal usb installer) with the clonezilla preset, using the iso.
2) unpack the 7z somewhere, either on the bootable usb or on some other usb disk if you have a hub (which tbh you need)
3) make sure your linx is charged, boot from the usb (del to bios-> last tab-card in bios -> select the bootable usb, it should be listed). On the clonezilla boot screen, select 1st option and boot into clonezilla.
4) in clonezilla, device-image mode, expert, point clonezilla to whereever you unpacked the 7z into
5) select restore disk
6) select the target destination, should be like 31.3GB mmcblk0(somethingsomething).
7) if worried select check if image is restorable
8) restore image, woo! (clonezilla will ask you a few times if you're really really really really sure. Only press y if you are really really really really sure
9) wait for the restoration to proceed.
10) wait for clonezilla to finish. It might complain in red or yellow text about something like "omg efi file not found" but you can safely ignore that, it always does that but it boots anyway.
11) reboot, unplug everything,
If you have any trouble let me know.